The main goal of Subarea 2 is to identify cellular and molecular pathways used to ensure effective organ maintenance and repair, and to unravel the mechanisms of their deterioration during aging. While stem cells are important for organ homeostasis, this Subarea does not per se directly addresses stem cell aging but rather focusses on the following focus areas:
- Drifts in developmental pathways limiting organ maintenance in aging,
- Immune aging and inflammation, and
- Systemic and micro-milieu regulators of organ maintenance, regeneration, and disease development.
Research focus of Subarea 2
Organ maintenance is regulated by local and systemic factors, which are subject to aging-associated changes. Research of Subarea 2 focuses on the following research areas: a) Genetic and epigenetic modulation of developmental pathways has been shown to contribute to progressive aging and disease. It is critical to delineate mechanisms and consequences of aging-associated drifts to better understand organ maintenance during aging. b) Immunoaging and chronic inflammation elicits negative effects through reduced immune surveillance and aberrant organ repair and maintenance; all of which contributes to the evolution of organ pathologies and diseases during organismal aging. c) Furthermore, aging-associated alterations in systemic and extracellular factors derived from metabolic changes, microbiota alterations, chronic inflammation, senescent, or damaged cells might impinge on disease development and tumor initiation.
- Lessons from a ten-year-long journey: building a student-driven computational biology society across Turkey.
Kaya Y, Karakulak T, Can Saylan C, Gür ER, Tatlıdil E, Güleşen S, Betül Dinçaslan F, Dönertaş HM
F1000Res 2022, 11
- Taz protects hematopoietic stem cells from an aging-dependent decrease in PU.1 activity.
Kim* KM, Mura-Meszaros* A, Tollot* M, Krishnan MS, Gründl M, Neubert L, Groth M, Rodriguez-Fraticelli A, Svendsen AF, Campaner S, Andreas N, Kamradt T, Hoffmann S, Camargo FD, Heidel FH, Bystrykh LV, de Haan G, von Eyss B
Nat Commun 2022, 13(1), 5187 * equal contribution
- RelB contributes to the survival, migration and lymphomagenesis of B cells with constitutively active CD40 signaling.
Kuhn LB, Valentin S, Stojanovic K, Strobl DC, Babushku T, Wang Y, Rambold U, Scheffler L, Grath S, John-Robbert D, Blum H, Feuchtinger A, Blutke A, Weih F, Kitamura D, Rad R, Strobl LJ, Zimber-Strobl U
Front Immunol 2022, 13, 913275
- Role of CD44 in metastasis formation of spontaneous osteosarcoma of Nf2-deficient mice
Dissertation 2022, Jena, Germany
- Thyroid Hormone Transporter Deficiency in Mice Impacts Multiple Stages of GABAergic Interneuron Development.
Mayerl S, Chen J, Salveridou E, Boelen A, Darras VM, Heuer H
Cereb Cortex 2022, 32(2), 329-41
- Meeting Report: Aging Research and Drug Discovery
Meron E, Thaysen M, Angeli S, Antebi A, Barzilai N, Baur JA, Bekker-Jensen S, Birkisdottir M, Bischof E, Bruening J, Brunet A, Buchwalter A, Cabreiro F, Cai S, Chen BH, Ermolaeva M, Ewald Collin Y, Ferrucci L, Florian MC, Fortney K, Freund A, Georgievskaya A, Gladyshev VN, Glass D, Golato T, Gorbunova V, Hoejimakers J, Houtkooper RH, Jager S, Jaksch F, Janssens G, Borch Jensen M, Kaeberlein M, Karsenty G, de Keizer P, Kennedy B, Kirkland JL, Kjaer M, Kroemer G, Lee KF, Lemaitre JM, Liaskos D, Longo VD, Lu YX, MacArthur MR, Maier AB, Manakanatas C, Mitchell SJ, Moskalev A, Niedernhofer L, Ozerov I, Partridge L, Passegué E, Petr MA, Peyer J, Radenkovic D, Rando TA, Rattan S, Riedel CG, Rudolph L, Ai R, Serrano M, Schumacher B, Sinclair DA, Smith R, Suh Y, Taub P, Trapp A, Trendelenburg AU, Valenzano DR, Verburgh K, Verdin E, Vijg J, Westendorp RGJ, Zonari A, Bakula D, Zhavoronkov A, Scheibye-Knudsen M
Aging (Albany NY) 2022, 14(2), 530–543
- Enhanced C/EBPβ function promotes hypertrophic versus hyperplastic fat tissue growth and prevents steatosis in response to high-fat diet feeding.
Müller* C, Zidek* LM, Eichwald S, Kortman G, Koster MH, Calkhoven CF
Elife 2022, 11, e62625. * equal contribution
- Ezrin deficiency triggers glial fibrillary acidic protein upregulation and a distinct reactive astrocyte phenotype.
Schacke S, Kirkpatrick J, Stocksdale A, Bauer R, Hagel C, Riecken LB, Morrison H
Glia 2022, 70(12), 2309-29
- PLCG1 is required for AML1-ETO leukemia stem cell self-renewal.
Schnoeder TM, Schwarzer A, Jayavelu AK, Hsu CJ, Kirkpatrick J, Döhner K, Perner F, Eifert T, Huber N, Arreba-Tutusaus P, Dolnik A, Assi SA, Nafria M, Jiang L, Dai YT, Chen Z, Chen SJ, Kellaway SG, Ptasinska A, Ng ES, Stanley EG, Elefanty AG, Buschbeck M, Bierhoff H, Brodt S, Matziolis G, Fischer KD, Hochhaus A, Chen CW, Heidenreich O, Mann M, Lane SW, Bullinger L, Ori A, Eyss Bv, Bonifer C, Heidel F
Blood 2022, 139(7), 1080-97
- Oxidative Glucose Metabolism Promotes Senescence in Vascular Endothelial Cells.
Stabenow LK, Zibrova D, Ender C, Helbing DL, Spengler K, Marx C, Wang ZQ, Heller R
Cells 2022, 11(14)