During their training, Biology Lab Assistants work very closely with our FLI scientists and are involved in current research projects, e.g. carrying out investigations on cell cultures and microorganisms and participate in animal experiments.
Guided by scientists, they prepare, conduct, analyze and document experiments by means of molecular biological, genetic and biochemical methods.
During their dual vocational training, trainees attend 4-week teaching blocks at the, each followed by a 6-8-week practical training at FLI.
The apprenticeship is organized by the Chamber of Industry and Commerce (IHK) of Eastern Thuringia in Gera and normally takes 3 ½ years (40 h/week). Showing excellent training results, the duration may be shortened. Trainees are remunerated according to the agreement TVA-L BBiG.
- should have successfully completed their Abitur or a very good secondary school certificate
- should be interested in scientific experiments within an international research environment
- should own a reliable, diligent and exact working style
- should be ready for assisting in experiments with animals
- should be highly engaged and team-minded
- should have language skills in English
After the completion of their vocational training, biology lab assistants can collaborate with and assist to our FLI scientists in research and research projects.