The main goal of Subarea 2 is to identify cellular and molecular pathways used to ensure effective organ maintenance and repair, and to unravel the mechanisms of their deterioration during aging. While stem cells are important for organ homeostasis, this Subarea does not per se directly addresses stem cell aging but rather focusses on the following focus areas:
- Drifts in developmental pathways limiting organ maintenance in aging,
- Immune aging and inflammation, and
- Systemic and micro-milieu regulators of organ maintenance, regeneration, and disease development.
Research focus of Subarea 2
Organ maintenance is regulated by local and systemic factors, which are subject to aging-associated changes. Research of Subarea 2 focuses on the following research areas: a) Genetic and epigenetic modulation of developmental pathways has been shown to contribute to progressive aging and disease. It is critical to delineate mechanisms and consequences of aging-associated drifts to better understand organ maintenance during aging. b) Immunoaging and chronic inflammation elicits negative effects through reduced immune surveillance and aberrant organ repair and maintenance; all of which contributes to the evolution of organ pathologies and diseases during organismal aging. c) Furthermore, aging-associated alterations in systemic and extracellular factors derived from metabolic changes, microbiota alterations, chronic inflammation, senescent, or damaged cells might impinge on disease development and tumor initiation.
- Inhibition of Cdk5 increases osteoblast differentiation and bone mass and improves fracture healing.
Ahmad M, Krüger BT, Kroll T, Vettorazzi S, Dorn AK, Mengele F, Lee S, Nandi S, Yilmaz D, Stolz M, Tangudu NK, Vázquez DC, Pachmayr J, Cirstea IC, Spasic MV, Ploubidou A, Ignatius A, Tuckermann J
Bone Res 2022, 10(1), 33
- The role of exosomes in inter-cellular and inter-organ communication of the peripheral nervous system.
Bischoff JP, Schulz A, Morrison H
FEBS Lett 2022, 596(5), 655-64
- Disruption of amphetamine sensitization by alteration of dendritic thin spines in the nucleus accumbens core.
Cai WT, Kim WY, Kwak MJ, Rim H, Lee SE, Riecken LB, Morrison H, Kim JH
J Neurochem 2022, 161(3), 266-80
- Immediate predation risk alters the relationship between potential and realised selection on male traits in the Trinidad guppy Poecilia reticulata
Glavaschi A, Cattelan S, Devigili A, Pilastro A
bioRxiv 2022, https://doi.org/10.1101/2022.04.
- A Ponceau S Staining-Based Dot Blot Assay for Rapid Protein Quantification of Biological Samples.
Helbing* DL, Böhm* L, Oraha N, Stabenow LK, Cui Y
Gels 2022, 8(1) * equal contribution
- Inter-tissue convergence of gene expression during ageing suggests age-related loss of tissue and cellular identity.
Izgi H, Han D, Isildak U, Huang S, Kocabiyik E, Khaitovich** P, Somel** M, Dönertaş** HM
Elife 2022, 11, e68048 ** co-corresponding authors
- Lessons from a ten-year-long journey: building a student-driven computational biology society across Turkey.
Kaya Y, Karakulak T, Can Saylan C, Gür ER, Tatlıdil E, Güleşen S, Betül Dinçaslan F, Dönertaş HM
F1000Res 2022, 11
- Role of CD44 in metastasis formation of spontaneous osteosarcoma of Nf2-deficient mice
Dissertation 2022, Jena, Germany
- Thyroid Hormone Transporter Deficiency in Mice Impacts Multiple Stages of GABAergic Interneuron Development.
Mayerl S, Chen J, Salveridou E, Boelen A, Darras VM, Heuer H
Cereb Cortex 2022, 32(2), 329-41
- Meeting Report: Aging Research and Drug Discovery
Meron E, Thaysen M, Angeli S, Antebi A, Barzilai N, Baur JA, Bekker-Jensen S, Birkisdottir M, Bischof E, Bruening J, Brunet A, Buchwalter A, Cabreiro F, Cai S, Chen BH, Ermolaeva M, Ewald Collin Y, Ferrucci L, Florian MC, Fortney K, Freund A, Georgievskaya A, Gladyshev VN, Glass D, Golato T, Gorbunova V, Hoejimakers J, Houtkooper RH, Jager S, Jaksch F, Janssens G, Borch Jensen M, Kaeberlein M, Karsenty G, de Keizer P, Kennedy B, Kirkland JL, Kjaer M, Kroemer G, Lee KF, Lemaitre JM, Liaskos D, Longo VD, Lu YX, MacArthur MR, Maier AB, Manakanatas C, Mitchell SJ, Moskalev A, Niedernhofer L, Ozerov I, Partridge L, Passegué E, Petr MA, Peyer J, Radenkovic D, Rando TA, Rattan S, Riedel CG, Rudolph L, Ai R, Serrano M, Schumacher B, Sinclair DA, Smith R, Suh Y, Taub P, Trapp A, Trendelenburg AU, Valenzano DR, Verburgh K, Verdin E, Vijg J, Westendorp RGJ, Zonari A, Bakula D, Zhavoronkov A, Scheibye-Knudsen M
Aging (Albany NY) 2022, 14(2), 530–543