The research focus of Subarea 4 is on studying damages of macromolecules (proteins, nucleic acids) and determining the structure-function relationship of biomolecules relevant to damage and damage repair processes and responses to molecular damage that might lead to aging and aging-associated pathologies.
The studies are focused on the following research areas: DNA replication, DNA damage responses (DDR), stress responses, metabolic stresses, protein trafficking and protein damages.
The research is defined by four focus areas:
- DNA damage response in tissue homeostasis and neuropathies,
- Quality control in the endoplasmic reticulum for secretory pathway in aging processes,
- Intrinsic and extrinsic factors implicated in cellular decline during aging, and
- DNA replication and genomic integrity preventing premature aging and diseases.
Research focus of Subarea 4.
The accumulation of damaged macromolecules or subcellular organelles is associated with dysfunction of a cell, which contributes to tissue & organ failure. DNA damage, genomic instability, protein misfolding or defects in toxic protein degradation can compromise cell functionality. Alterations of mitochondrial DNA and protein complexes affect cellular metabolism, which will have a general impact on cell integrity.
- Nbs1-mediated DNA damage repair pathway regulates haematopoietic stem cell development and embryonic haematopoiesis.
Chen Y, Sun J, Ju Z, Wang ZQ, Li T
Cell Prolif 2021 (epub ahead of print)
- GMPPA defects cause a neuromuscular disorder with α-dystroglycan hyperglycosylation.
Franzka P, Henze H, Jung MJ, Schüler SC, Mittag S, Biskup K, Liebmann L, Kentache T, Morales J, Martínez B, Katona I, Herrmann T, Huebner AK, Hennings JC, Groth S, Gresing LJ, Horstkorte R, Marquardt T, Weis J, Kaether C, Mutchinick OM, Ori A, Huber O, Blanchard V, von Maltzahn J, Hübner CA
J Clin Invest 2021 (epub ahead of print)
- The Role of the Pathogen Dose and PI3Kγ in Immunometabolic Reprogramming of Microglia for Innate Immune Memory.
Lajqi T, Marx C, Hudalla H, Haas F, Große S, Wang ZQ, Heller R, Bauer M, Wetzker R, Bauer R
Int J Mol Sci 2021, 22(5)
- The N-terminal BRCT domain determines MCPH1 function in brain development and fertility.
Liu* X, Schneble-Löhnert* N, Kristofova M, Qing X, Labisch J, Hofmann S, Ehrenberg S, Sannai M, Jörß T, Ori A, Godmann M, Wang ZQ
Cell Death Dis 2021, 12(2), 143 * equal contribution
- Cooperative treatment effectiveness of ATR and HSP90 inhibition in Ewing's sarcoma cells
Marx C, Schaarschmidt MU, Kirkpatrick J, Marx-Blümel L, Halilovic M, Westermann M, Hoelzer D, Meyer FB, Geng Y, Buder K, Schadwinkel HM, Siniuk K, Becker S, Thierbach R, Beck JF, Sonnemann* J, Wang* ZQ
Cell Biosci 2021, 11(1), 57 * equal contribution
- Silicon-rhodamine isothiocyanate for fluorescent labelling.
Nasufović V, Then P, Dröge F, Duong M, Kaether C, Dietzek B, Heintzmann R, Arndt HD
Org Biomol Chem 2021 (epub ahead of print)
- Tissue-specific Gene Expression Changes Are Associated with Aging in Mice.
Srivastava* A, Barth* E, Ermolaeva MA, Guenther M, Frahm C, Marz** M, Witte** OW
Genomics Proteomics Bioinformatics 2021 (epub ahead of print) * equal contribution, ** co-corresponding authors
- HAT cofactor TRRAP modulates microtubule dynamics via SP1 signaling to prevent neurodegeneration.
Tapias* A, Lázaro* D, Yin* BK, Rasa SMM, Krepelova A, Kelmer Sacramento E, Grigaravicius P, Koch P, Kirkpatrick J, Ori A, Neri F, Wang ZQ
Elife 2021 (epub ahead of print) * equal contribution