The Blueprint of Life
Matthias Platzer has retired as FLI Group Leader in August 2018.
The research group Genome Analysis with its group leader Matthias Platzer lays its focus on genetic and epigenetic aspects of aging. By means of state-of-the-art methods and tools, the information stored in DNA can be read out and the sequence of millions and millions of DNA building blocks may be determined within a short time. We use these methods to describe the genetic information as well as the processes underpinning e.g. the production of proteins and the alterations of these processes during aging.
We work on the functional and comparative analysis of genomes and transcriptomes of short- and long-lived model organisms in aging research. With clinical partners, we search for genetic and epigenetic variations determining the individual predisposition to healthy aging and complex aging-related diseases.
- Sarcoidosis is associated with a truncating splice site mutation in BTNL2.
Valentonyte R, Hampe J, Huse K, Rosenstiel P, Albrecht M, Stenzel A, Nagy M, Gaede KI, Franke A, Haesler R, Koch A, Lengauer T, Seegert D, Reiling N, Ehlers S, Schwinger E, Platzer M, Krawczak M, Müller-Quernheim J, Schürmann M, Schreiber S
Nat Genet 2005, 37(4), 357-64
- Validation of mRNA/EST-based gene predictions in human Xp11.4 revealed differences to the organization of the orthologous mouse locus.
Wen G, Ramser J, Taudien S, Gausmann U, Blechschmidt K, Frankish A, Ashurst J, Meindl A, Platzer M
Mamm Genome 2005, 16(12), 934-41 published as IMB
- Mutation analysis of the MCHR1 gene in human obesity.
Wermter AK, Reichwald K, Büch T, Geller F, Platzer C, Huse K, Hess C, Remschmidt H, Gudermann T, Preibisch G, Siegfried W, Goldschmidt HP, Li WD, Price RA, Biebermann H, Krude H, Vollmert C, Wichmann HE, Illig T, Sørensen TIA, Astrup A, Larsen LH, Pedersen O, Eberlé D, Clément K, Blundell J, Wabitsch M, Schäfer H, Platzer M, Hinney A, Hebebrand J
Eur J Endocrinol 2005, 152(6), 851-62
- The Dictyostelium genome encodes numerous RasGEFs with multiple biological roles.
Wilkins* A, Szafranski* K, Fraser DJ, Bakthavatsalam D, Müller R, Fisher PR, Glöckner G, Eichinger L, Noegel AA, Insall RH
Genome Biol 2005, 6(8), R68 * equal contribution
- Transfer RNA gene-targeted integration: an adaptation of retrotransposable elements to survive in the compact Dictyostelium discoideum genome.
Winckler T, Szafranski K, Glöckner G
Cytogenet Genome Res 2005, 110(1-4), 288-98