During the March for Science 2017, the values, responsibility and credibility of science were debated worldwide. Symposia of German scientific organisations identified a need for action and research in autumn 2017. The public pressure on politics, business and science to act has grown. Populists attack scientific institutions as part of a social elite and question science as a whole.
Panel discussion - 4:00 pm, FSU, Auditorium in the Main University Building
On the occasion of the international March for Science 2018 on April 12 representatives of science, politics and the media will be debating in Jena under the auspices of the President of FSU Jena, Prof. Dr. med. Walter Rosenthal, the following questions:
- How do politicians, scientists, students and media representatives think about autonomy and freedom of science and research?
- (How) Should the public be familiarized with the principles and values of science, especially with controversial topics and doubts about scientific findings?
- Which strategies for diversity, integration and equality exist and can be successfully implemented?
- Which problem solutions do science, politics and media offer precisely – on an international, federal, state and local level?
Carolin Matzko (Munich), ARD: »Planet Wissen«, BR: »Zündfunk«, Moderator and Journalist
PANEL DISCUSSION PARTICIPANTS:
- Prof. Dr. Peter Weingart (Bielefeld, Stellenbosch), South African Research Chair in Science Communication, Centre for Research on Evaluation, Science and Technology (CREST), Stellenbosch University (South Africa)
- Dr. Helen Morrison (Jena), Group Leader »Nerve Regeneration«, Leibniz Institute on Aging - Fritz Lipmann Institute (FLI)
- Prof. Dr. Benjamin-Immanuel Hoff (Erfurt), Head of the State Chancellery and Minister for Culture, Federal and European Affairs of the Free State of Thuringia
- Prof. Dr. Eva Schmitt-Rodermund (Jena), Vice-Chancellor and Head of Department 1, Academic and Student Affairs, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena
- Madeleine Henfling (Erfurt), Deputy Parliamentary Director of the Group Bündnis 90/Die Grünen in Thuringian State Parliament
- Dr. Florian Freistetter (Jena), "Deutscher IQ Preis" (2012), "Deutscher Kleinkunstpreis" (2016), Atronomer, Science Blogger, Author and Podcaster