Subarea 3: Genetics and Epigenetics of Aging
The focus of Subarea 3 is on genetic and epigenetic determinants of life- and health span as well as aging in fish, rodents and humans. This line of research builds on the expertise of the institute in comparative and functional genomics.
The research is defined by five focus areas:
- Comparative genomics in short- and long-lived models of aging,
- Genomic engineering in N. furzeri,
- Epigenetics of aging,
- Non-coding RNAs in aging, and
- Comparative transcriptomics of aging.
Research focus of Subarea 3.
To uncover causative factors for aging, comparative genomics in short- and long-lived model systems are applied. Functional genomics is used to identify novel pathways contribute to aging of an organism and to validate the functional relevance of genetic and epigenetic changes that occur during aging. Furthermore, genetic risk factors for aging-related diseases are identified and functionally tested. The future development of the Subarea aims to integrate changes in host-microbiota interactions during aging, and how these influence clonal mutation and epigenetic alterations through metabolites and other signals.
- Identification of Undescribed Relb Expression Domains in the Murine Brain by New Relb:cre-katushka Reporter Mice.
Engelmann C, Riemann M, Carlstedt S, Grimlowski R, Andreas N, Koliesnik I, Meier E, Austerfield P, Haenold R
Dev Dyn 2020 (epub ahead of print)
- miR-182-5p is an evolutionarily conserved Tbx5 effector that impacts cardiac development and electrical activity in zebrafish.
Guzzolino E, Pellegrino M, Ahuja N, Garrity D, D'Aurizio R, Groth M, Baumgart M, Hatcher CJ, Mercatanti A, Evangelista M, Ippolito C, Tognoni E, Fukuda R, Lionetti V, Pellegrini M, Cremisi F, Pitto L
Cell Mol Life Sci 2020 (epub ahead of print)
- Ontogenetic Pattern Changes of Nucleobindin-2/Nesfatin-1 in the Brain and Intestinal Bulb of the Short Lived African Turquoise Killifish.
Montesano* A, Felice* ED, Leggieri A, Palladino A, Lucini C, Scocco P, Girolamo Pd, Baumgart** M, D'Angelo** L
J Clin Med 2020, 9(1) * equal contribution, ** co-corresponding authors
- C/EBPβ-LIP induces cancer-type metabolic reprogramming by regulating the let-7 /LIN28B circuit in mice.
Ackermann T, Hartleben* G, Müller* C, Mastrobuoni G, Groth M, Sterken BA, Zaini MA, Youssef SA, Zuidhof HR, Krauss SR, Kortman G, de Haan G, de Bruin A, Wang ZQ, Platzer M, Kempa S, Calkhoven CF
Commun Biol 2019, 2, 208 * equal contribution
- Conserved aging-related signatures of senescence and inflammation in different tissues and species.
Barth* E, Srivastava* A, Stojiljkovic* M, Frahm C, Axer H, Witte** OW, Marz** M
Aging (Albany NY) 2019, 11(19), 8556-72 * equal contribution, ** co-senior authors
- Correction to: A miRNA catalogue and ncRNA annotation of the short-living fish Nothobranchius furzeri.
Baumgart M, Barth E, Savino A, Groth M, Koch P, Petzold A, Arisi I, Platzer M, Marz** M, Cellerino** A
BMC Genomics 2019, 20(1), 898 ** co-corresponding authors
- Mitohormetic effects of rotenone drastically depend on age.
Baumgart* M, Ugolini* M, Groth M, Platzer M, Cellerino A
bioRxiv 2019, https://doi.org/10.1101/528547 * equal contribution
- Aging Triggers H3K27 Trimethylation Hoarding in the Chromatin of Nothobranchius furzeri Skeletal Muscle.
Cencioni* C, Heid* J, Krepelova A, Rasa SMM, Kuenne C, Guenther S, Baumgart M, Cellerino A, Neri F, Spallotta** F, Gaetano** C
Cells 2019, 8(10) * equal contribution, ** co-senior authors
- Cohesin-mediated NF-κB signaling limits hematopoietic stem cell self-renewal in aging and inflammation.
Chen Z, Amro EM, Becker F, Hölzer M, Rasa SMM, Njeru SN, Han B, Di Sanzo S, Chen Y, Tang D, Tao S, Haenold R, Groth M, Romanov VS, Kirkpatrick JM, Kraus JM, Kestler HA, Marz M, Ori A, Neri F, Morita** Y, Rudolph** KL
J Exp Med 2019, 216(1), 152-75 ** co-corresponding authors
- Comment on 'Naked mole-rat mortality rates defy Gompertzian laws by not increasing with age'.
Dammann* P, Scherag* A, Zak N, Szafranski K, Holtze S, Begall S, Burda H, Kestler HA, Hildebrandt T, Platzer M
Elife 2019, 8 * corresponding author