Core Facilites and Core Services
At the beginning of 2016, a “core” structure was put into effect that organized facility and service units as independent organizational entities from FLI’s research groups. A number of technology platforms (e.g. sequencing, mass spectrometry) grew out of individual methodological requirements for single research groups in the last years but developed into semiautonomous substructures. As consequence of re-focused research activities and the concomitant advent of new research groups at FLI, those units increasingly had to serve many FLI groups and collaborative research efforts in the Jena research area.
To accommodate this development and to increase efficiency as well as transparency for users, facility personnel and for administrative processes, it came natural to re-organize such activities into independent units as “FLI Core Facilities and Services” and to phase out infrastructures considered non-essential for FLI’s research focus (X-ray crystallography and NMR spectroscopy).
FLI’s Core Facilities (CF) are managed by a CF Manager and are each scientifically guided in their activities and development by an FLI Group Leader, as Scientific Supervisor. The animal facilities comprising fish, mouse and transgenesis are run separately, as they involve a more complex organizational structure. Basic Core Services (CS) are directly led by the Head of Core (HC), who in turn is supported by individual CS Managers.
All facilities and services, including animal facilities, have a valuable contribution to FLI’s research articles; e.g. from 2016–2018, to 54% of all peer reviewed research publications.
Overview Core Facilities and Core Services at FLI.
- BRCA1 mislocalization leads to aberrant DNA damage response in heterozygous ABRAXAS1 mutation carrier cells.
Bose M, Sachsenweger J, Laurila N, Parplys AC, Willmann J, Jungwirth J, Groth M, Rapakko K, Nieminen P, Friedl TWP, Heiserich L, Meyer F, Tuppurainen H, Peltoketo H, Nevanlinna H, Pylkäs K, Borgmann K, Wiesmüller L, Winqvist** R, Pospiech** H
Hum Mol Genet 2020 (epub ahead of print) ** co-corresponding authors
- Structure of an RNA aptamer in complex with the fluorophore tetramethylrhodamine.
Duchardt-Ferner E, Juen M, Bourgeois B, Madl T, Kreutz C, Ohlenschläger O, Wöhnert J
Nucleic Acids Res 2020 (epub ahead of print)
- miR-182-5p is an evolutionarily conserved Tbx5 effector that impacts cardiac development and electrical activity in zebrafish.
Guzzolino E, Pellegrino M, Ahuja N, Garrity D, D'Aurizio R, Groth M, Baumgart M, Hatcher CJ, Mercatanti A, Evangelista M, Ippolito C, Tognoni E, Fukuda R, Lionetti V, Pellegrini M, Cremisi F, Pitto L
Cell Mol Life Sci 2020 (epub ahead of print)
- Aneuploidy-inducing gene knockdowns overlap with cancer mutations and identify Orp3 as a B-cell lymphoma suppressor.
Njeru* SN, Kraus* J, Meena* JK, Lechel A, Katz SF, Kumar M, Knippschild U, Azoitei A, Wezel F, Bolenz C, Leithäuser F, Gollowitzer A, Omrani O, Hoischen C, Koeberle A, Kestler** HA, Günes** C, Rudolph** KL
Oncogene 2020 (epub ahead of print) * equal contribution, ** co-corresponding authors
- Elevated Hedgehog activity contributes to attenuated DNA damage responses in aged hematopoietic cells.
Scheffold A, Baig AH, Chen Z, von Löhneysen SE, Becker F, Morita Y, Avila AI, Groth M, Lechel A, Schmid F, Kraus JM, Kestler HA, Stilgenbauer S, Philipp M, Burkhalter MD
Leukemia 2020 (epub ahead of print)
- The stress-responsive gene GDPGP1/mcp-1 regulates neuronal glycogen metabolism and survival.
Schulz A, Sekine Y, Oyeyemi MJ, Abrams AJ, Basavaraju M, Han SM, Groth M, Morrison H, Strittmatter SM, Hammarlund M
J Cell Biol 2020, 219(2), doi: 10.1083/jcb.201807127
- Displacement of the Gent/1999 human-like swine H1N2 influenza A virus lineage by novel H1N2 reassortants in Germany.
Zell R, Groth M, Krumbholz A, Lange J, Philipps A, Dürrwald R
Arch Virol 2020 (epub ahead of print)
- C/EBPβ-LIP induces cancer-type metabolic reprogramming by regulating the let-7 /LIN28B circuit in mice.
Ackermann T, Hartleben* G, Müller* C, Mastrobuoni G, Groth M, Sterken BA, Zaini MA, Youssef SA, Zuidhof HR, Krauss SR, Kortman G, de Haan G, de Bruin A, Wang ZQ, Platzer M, Kempa S, Calkhoven CF
Commun Biol 2019, 2, 208 * equal contribution
- Structural requirements of the phytoplasma effector protein SAP54 for causing homeotic transformation of floral organs
Aurin MB, Haupt M, Görlach M, Rümpler F, Theißen G
bioRxiv 2019, https://doi.org/10.1101/772699
- Correction to: A miRNA catalogue and ncRNA annotation of the short-living fish Nothobranchius furzeri.
Baumgart M, Barth E, Savino A, Groth M, Koch P, Petzold A, Arisi I, Platzer M, Marz** M, Cellerino** A
BMC Genomics 2019, 20(1), 898 ** co-corresponding authors