Biology Lab Assistant (IHK Degree)
Biology Lab Assistants collaborate very closely with our FLI scientists during their training and are integrated into several research projects, e.g. carrying out investigations with animals (mice, fish etc.) or with cell cultures and microorganisms (yeasts, bacteria). Guided by scientists, they prepare, conduct, analyze and document experiments by means of molecular-biological, genetic or biochemical procedures.
During their dual vocational training, trainees attend two-week teaching blocks at the Berufsschule Radebeul, each followed by a 4-6-week practical training at FLI.
The apprenticeship is organized by the Chamber of Industry and Commerce (IHK) of Eastern Thuringia in Gera and normally takes 3 ½ years (40 h/week). Showing excellent training results, the duration may be shortened. Trainees are remunerated according to the agreement TVA-L BBiG.
- should have successfully completed their secondary school diploma or Abitur
- should be interested in scientific experiments within an international research environment
- should own a reliable, diligent and exact working style
- should be ready for assisting in experiments with animals
- should be highly engaged and team-minded
- should have good language skills in English
After the completion of their vocational training, biology lab assistants can collaborate with and assist to our FLI scientists in research and research projects.
The practical training periods take place in the laboratories of FLI in Jena, covering the following aspects:
- molecular-biological work
- genetic work
- microbiological work
- immunological and biochemical work
- work with cell cultures
- application of chromatographic procedures
- English training
To provide our trainees with a broad overview on their vocational field, we offer several internships within FLI and at other institutes.
Internal Internships: Histology & Hematology, FACS, Fish Facility, Electron microscopy, Microscopy, Animal House
External Internships: Basics of analyses and laboratory techniques (SBSZ Jena-Göschwitz), Microbiology (ASG Nünchritz), Zoology (FSU Jena), Chromatography (ASG Nünchritz), Hematology (SBG Dresden)
Beyond the educational and practical trainings, we also offer valuable extracurricular activities to foster the community spirit and exchange between our trainees. These activities include:
- common lecture series on methodologies and tools with animal care taker trainees
- common trainee breakfast
- common excursions (e.g. Open Campus, Carl Zeiss, ...)
- sportive activities
- presentations on the FLI-apprenticeships e.g. at Girls' Day, Boys' Day
- separate learning and training room
The educational training takes place at Berufsschulzentrum Radebeul near Dresden and includes:
- unification and separation of biochemical substances
- photometric and chromatographic analysis of biochemical substances
- biochemical and molecular-biological work
- zoological and pharmacological work
- botanic and phytomedical work
- characterization of biomedical structures and substances
- hematology and histology
- microbiological, cell cultural and biotechnical work
- pharmacological, toxicological and pharmacokinetic work
- immunological, biochemical and diagnostic work
The vocational school in Radebeul organizes extracurricular activities as well, e.g. excursions to the “Day of Science”, theater visits, guided tours through the Helmholtz Center Dresden Rossendorf or the noodle factory Riesa. Moreover, vocational students have the opportunity to attend a German-French Seminar for Chemistry and Biology Lab Assistants in France and Germany during a one-week student exchange.